Fullerton (UK) Fullerton, Pronunciation: /flrtn/, also known as Furaton) is a city in Orange County, California, USA. In the 2000 population census, the population was 126,003, but in 2010, the population increased by about seven percent to 135,161.
City of Fullerton
Location of Orange County (Left) and Fullerton in California
|Coordinates: 33 degrees 52 minutes 48 seconds north latitude 117 degrees 55 minutes 43 seconds west longitude / 33.88000 degrees north latitude 117.92861 degrees west longitude / 33.88000; -117.92861|
City of Fullerton
|region||57.6 km2 (22.2 mi2)|
|land||57.5 km2 (22.2 mi2)|
|water surface||0.1 km2 (0.0 mi2)|
|water area ratio||0.14%|
|Elevation||50 m (164 ft)|
|population||(as of 2010)|
|population density||2300/km2 (6000/mi2)|
|equal time||Pacific Time (UTC-8)|
|daylight saving time||Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7)|
|Official website: City of Fullerton|
Founded in 1887 by George Amerigue and Edward Amerigue, the town was named after George H. Fullerton, who secured land for the Atchson Topica and Santa Fe Railroad. Historically, it was the center of agriculture, and there were many fruit trees of Valencia orange and other citrus fruits. Oil drilling, transportation and manufacturing also flourished. There are several higher education institutions, such as the California State University Fullerton School.
Evidence of the fact that the Saber-Toothed Cats and mammoth animals lived in the area during the prehistoric period has been found in the Ralph B. Clark Area Park located in the northwestern part of the city. In 1769, Gaspard de Portola led an expedition party and went north through the area to build the first Europeans who built the Sanga Briel Arc Angel Transmission Center. The natives here were called Gabrielino Indians. The land in the area became part of Rancho San Juan Kahon de Santa Ana, which was patented by the Spanish military man Juan Pashifiko Ontiveros.
Ontiveros began selling some of the rancho's land to some of the pioneers who came to California, including Abel Stearns, a native of Massachusetts, after the California Gold Rush from 1849. Stearns sold it to Domingo Bastancharlie, a Basque shepherd.
In 1886, when the brothers George Amérige and Edward Amérige of Morden, Massachusetts, were enjoying a day off shooting in the area, they heard a rumor that the Central Railway of California, a subsidiary of the Atchson Topica and Santa Fe Railways, was looking for land. The brothers realized that it was a good opportunity to acquire 430 acres (1.7 km²) north of Anaheim, for about $68,000.
They then started negotiations with George H. Fulrton, the president of the Pacific Land Improvement Company under the Santa Fe Railroad. If the Fulton survey could change the land of the Merigue brothers to allow the railroad to pass, Edward Amérige offered to provide half the free passage and profit of the railway land, and on July 5, 1887, he formally registered the land right at the current intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Commonwealth Avenue.
In 1894, Charles Chapman, a retired publisher in Chicago and a descendant of John "Johnny Apple Seed" Chapman, bought an orange orchard in eastern Fullerton. The Valencian orange, introduced from Chapman's Santa Isabel ranch, matched the climate of the land and proved beneficial to the producers. Fullerton planted more orange trees than any other municipality in the United States. The cultivation of walnut and avocado was also successful, and the western railway town became the center of the agricultural area. Furaton established the city system in 1904.
In 1880, when the Blair-Olinda oil field was discovered, the drilling started, and accelerated the first real estate boom, reaching its peak in the 1920s. The buildings of this period were constructed in the Spanish Colonial Revival Style and the Italian Renaissance Style, the historic Fox Fullerton Theater constructed in 1925, the house of Walter and Adela Mackensara designed by Frank Benley in 1924, and the Plummer Community Hall and clock tower constructed in 1930, the landmark of Fulton, were built in this period. In 1913, Fullerton College was built on the current site facing Chapman Avenue and Lemon Street. On the other hand, in 1924, the city banned parking in the streets throughout the night, which is still ongoing today.
During this period, important public works projects continued. In 1927, for example, a farm in the southwest was turned into a Fulton Civic Airport at the request of William, the rancher and airman of Prasentia, and Robert Dowling.
Throughout the mid-1900s, the economy shifted from food production to food processing and manufacturing. Southeast Fullerton became the industrial hub. In 1932, Barbita Foods Co., Ltd. (later Hunt Wesson, now a part of Konagra Foods Co., Ltd.) started operating a citrus juice plant in the western part of Fullerton. In 1941, there was the largest food processing company in the United States. In 1934, A.W. Leo, Tom Yates and Ralph Harrison developed the first method of making Hawaiian punches when they turned their garage in Fullerton. In the city, aircraft equipment, electrical and electronic parts, navigation devices and experimental equipment were also produced.
In 1949, Dick Riedel and Bill Barriz flew out of Fulton Airport to make a 1,008-hour-two-minute flight record by flying to the Sanquist Lady, an improved Aeronka Sedan.
In 1949, Leo Fender developed a guitar called Fender Telecaster to refine the design, which became used among the great musicians of the 20th and 21st centuries. for instance, Keith Richards, Joe Stramer, Waylon Jennings, Dwight Joacam, Craig Camp, Jimmy Page, Kurt Coburn and others.
The population of Fullerton expanded after World War II when the retired soldiers moved to California, especially after the construction of Inter-State Highway 5 and the development of neighboring Anaheim City.
To address the growing population, the California State Council approved Orange County State College in 1957 and started operating Fullerton High School as its parent body in 1959. In 1963, the college was transferred to the campus in the present Boulevard, State University, and its name was changed several times before becoming the California State University Fullerton School. Other educational institutions continued, and Fullerton was known as an "educational city." A 26-acre (105,000 meters²) botanical garden, Fullerton Botanical Garden, opened in 1979 next to the campus in the northeastern part of the city.
With the development of the manufacturing industry, real estate prices have risen more than ever, environmental regulations have increased and problems such as transportation have increased. By the latter half of the 20th century, the majority of the country-like characteristics were lost, and the majority were suburban residential areas and shopping centers.
In the first few years of the 21st century, there were several political problems. The first was a hierarchical division between the northern and western affluent cities and the southern areas adjacent to Anaheim, the supply and demand problem for the rapidly disappearing undeveloped areas, and the influx of Asian and Latino immigrants into areas formerly dominated by Caucasans.
Growth and development, as many cities have, are a contentious issue. In the 1990s, the central commercial district was economically depressed, and the impression was that there were only some old-fashioned or small shops that looked like sleep. The symbolic presence of the downtown issue was the local landmark Fox Theater, which was left to ruin. As of November 2004, the company received enough funds to buy the theater, but not enough funds to repair it. In 2006, repair work was started.
At the same time, the central town, especially Commonwealth Avenue, became a more prosperous entertainment district, and the magazine "OC (Orange County) Weekly" described it as "Bourbon Street in the West." In less than five years, about 30 shops selling alcoholic beverages opened, making the downtown area of the night more active. In this cheerful atmosphere, problems such as drunkenness, fighting and lack of parking lots were raised, and police task force responded to the problems.
There is a proposal to develop the Koyote Hills area, the last undeveloped area in the city. On this controversial issue, local environmentalists and low-growth activists argued that the region should be bought into a park on the state budget, and conflicted with a growth-oriented City Council on the project. There is also a plan to build about 300 apartment houses or apartments in the central town, which would result in a more concentrated population.
The site of the Hughes Aircraft Grand Systems Group, which has an area of 293 acres (1.2 km²) in the western part of Fullerton City, was redeveloped from 2001 to 2004 into a new housing and commercial area called "Amériguet Heights." With this development, the land prices of neighboring areas changed greatly. First, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, employees of Hughes Company sold the house, so the house fell rapidly, and the real estate value of Orange County rose rapidly as it rose.
Furaton is 33 degrees 52 minutes 48 seconds north latitude and 117 degrees 55 minutes 43 seconds west longitude/33.88000 degrees north latitude and 117.92861 degrees west longitude/ 33.88000 degrees west longitude; -117.92861. It is about 25 miles (40 km) southeast of central Los Angeles City, and 11 miles (18 km) northwest of Santa Ana City, the capital of the county. The average height is 150 feet (46 meters), and is approximately 11 miles (18 km) northeast of the Pacific Ocean in a straight line distance. It is a Mediterranean climate with an average annual temperature of 62.2 degrees F (16.8 degrees C).
According to the National Census Bureau, the total area of the city is 22.2 square miles (57.6 km2), of which land is 22.2 square miles (57.5 km2), water area is 0.04 square miles (0.1 km 2), and water area is 0.14%.
Furaton City borders Rafabra and Blair in the north, Ramirada in the northeast, Buena Park in the west, Anaheim in the south and Prasentia in the east.
The flat central area is arranged in a grid shape around the intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Commonwealth Avenue. With the recent renewal and aesthetic campaigns, it has gathered specialized shops, coffee shops and restaurants to retain most of the central town's character without changing. The southeastern part of the city is traditionally an industrial area, with small-scale producers gathering east of Raymond Avenue and south of Commonwealth Avenue.
The northern and western ends of the city are Coyote Hills, and low mountains are divided into the east and west Coyote Hills. The south and west of this area are called Sunny Hills. In much of the city's history, these areas were forest of citrus trees, open shrubs and oil fields. There are many old private roads and riding roads along the Bastunchari Road, but the winding road that goes through the area leads to a series of small residential blocks and commercial development sites. In recent years, the City Government Committee has been trying to allow the development of vacant lots remaining in the city. West Coyote Hills is the most famous ongoing project, but it is being opposed by local citizens.
According to the 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top 10 employers for Fullerton are as shown below.
|rank||employer||number of employees|
|1||California State University Fullerton||3,667|
|2||Saint Jude Medical Group||2,725|
|1||Fullerton School District||1,390|
|6||Fullerton Community High School District||1,107|
|8||Alcoa Fastener Systems||975|
|10||New Albert Sands||600|
government and politics
Fullerton is a city that adopts the City Government Committee and City Manager system under the General Act. The legislative body is left to the Municipal Government Committee consisting of five non-partisan members, and the committee is elected every two years for a four-year term. The committee will elect a chairperson who will be the mayor, but we will hire a city manager for daily management. All the members are elected from all cities. The elections are held every two years, and are held at the same time as the state-wide general election held in November in even numbers.
There were 69,791 voters in the city as of 2009. The breakdown by party is as follows.
- Republican followers - 29,245
- Democratic supporters - 23,478
- No supporting party - 14,154
- Supporters of the American Independence Party - 1,447
- Libertarian supporters - 523
- Green Party Supporter of America - 388
- Peace and Liberals - 231
- Supporters of the Natural Party - 104
- Other - 325
States and Congress
The city has traditionally selected conservative Republican candidates in the state and federal legislatures. The California state assembly comprises the 33rd, 34th and 71st and 72nd constituencies in the Senate. The U.S. House of Representatives members belong to the 40th and 47th constituencies in California. The Cook Ballot Index includes Republican +8 and Democratic +5, respectively. As of 2010, the Senate had one Republican and one Democratic member, the House of Representatives had one Republican, and the House of Representatives had one Republican and one Democratic member.
There are five public high schools in the city, all under the jurisdiction of the Fullerton Joint High School District. There are three middle schools teaching seventh and eighth grade students, and 17 elementary schools teaching sixth grade students from kindergarten (some of them are eighth grade).
a private school of Catholicism
The Catholic schools in Fullerton are affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church Orange Parish and have four schools. There are four other private schools including Berkeley.
higher education institution
- The California State University Fullerton College was established as CSUF, the Orange County State College in 1957, the 12th campus in the California State University system, the main campus was the northeastern part of the city, and the area near Route 57 and Nutwood Avenue was originally an orange orchard with a width of 236 acres (1 km²). The number of students in the fall semester 2007, together with the graduate school, was 37,130, which is the largest of the California State University System and the second largest of the California State Universities.
- It is the oldest two-year community college, and one continuously operated college in California, and it belongs to the Northern Community College District of Orange County, and is located on the campus of 63 acres (255,000 meters²) adjacent to Fullerton Integrated High School.
- Western State University Law College
- Hope International University
- Southern California Ophthalmic College
Culture and Recreation
There is an active music scene in Fullerton City. It is the center of Hardcore Punk in Orange County and produces bands like the Adresanz, the Agent Orange, the Social Distortion and the TSOL. Gwen Stephanie, a lead vocalist for the Alternative Rock band No Dow, was from the California State University Fullerton and played regularly at the university. Other local bands include Off Spring and Lit. Singer-songwriter Jackson Brown also attended Sunny Hills High School in the city.
A fender musical instrument company has contributed greatly to the history of Fullerton music, and electric guitars, such as "strut casters" and "telecasters", precision-based bass guitars, and twin-reverb guitar amplifiers, have refurbished the music business and contributed greatly to the development of rock and roll (some rock musicians did not use fender products at the time of their career, but in general, their lives were short). Founder Leo Fender sold the company to CBS in 1964. Musical instruments were manufactured at Fullerton's factory until 1985 and then sold to private investors groups. It was later rebuilt as Fender Instrument Corporation, and has a manufacturing facility in Ensenada, Baja California, across the border between neighboring Corona City and Mexico, and its headquarters in Scottsdale, Arizona. In 1980, Leo Fender and our partner George Fulton founded the new company G&L Guitars again and used the old factory in Fullerton.
Near Euclidean Avenue in Marvin Avenue, the McKensiler Cultural Center has a gallery and theater company. The former assets of the McKensiler family were donated to the city by Harold McKensiler in 1965.
The Fullerton Museum Center makes a space for a number of specialty exhibits in the old Carnegie Library in the central town.
There is a Fulaton public library in the city. The main building is located in the central town of Commonwealth Avenue, adjacent to the city hall. Basque Avenue has a branch office called the Hunt branch.
Furaton has a diverse and growing theater world. The Fullerton Citizen Light Opera, the largest theater company in southern California, is based in the Plummer Hall. Educational institutions such as the local Fullerton College and the Flarton High School of Arts perform a number of large-scale performances. There are also several theater companies in the town, such as the Maverick Theater Company, the Stages Theater Company, and the Hanger Artist Theater Company.
There are more than 50 civic parks in the city, including Hillcrest Park, Craig Regional Park and Ralph, B. and Clark Regional Park. The Fullerton Botanical Garden is located in the northeastern part of the city, and has a 26 acre (105,000 meters²) carvings and unusual plants. Furthermore, in the Breadam Recreation area, there are approximately 200 acres (0.8 km²) of recreation land and horse riding centers along the sidewalk, two golf courses and tennis centers. The area is behind St. Jude Hospital and the Janet Evans swimming center.
In the city, the Fullerton Observer newspaper, one of the few completely independent newspapers published in Southern California municipalities. The Fullerton Observer newspaper was all edited by volunteers and published twice a month. It was first published in the late 1970s by Ralph Kennedy, a fair housing acquisition and civil rights activist who called for the conservation of Coyote Hills as a liberation space. In 2010, the City of Fullerton and the Register of Orange County filed an objection to the Fullerton Observer newspaper to prove that it was a newspaper itself. However, the Fullerton Observer newspaper dismissed the case as being adjudged to a newspaper.
The city of Fullerton is based in the Orange County Flyers (formerly the Fullerton Flyers), a member of the North American League. The stadium is the Goodwin Baseball Stadium and the Titans, a sports team at the California State University Fullerton, are also used.
The following is demographic data for 2000.
Households and family (number of households)
income and family
Furaton, established as a railroad town, is still divided by BNSF Railway, and on the track runs Amtrak's Southwest Chief, Pacific Surf Liner, 91 lines of Metro Link and the Orange County Line. The average time to reach Los Angeles is 30 minutes in Metro Link or Amtrak.
Furaton station of Amtrak is located in the central city of Furaton Transportation Center and also functions as a bus terminal of the Orange County Transportation Bureau.
There are three main highways in the city. California Route 91 crosses the south of Orange Soap Avenue in the east-west direction. This road crosses Interstate Expressway Route 5, or Santa Ana Freeway, near Magnolia Avenue in the western part of the city, and crosses State Route 57, or Orange Freeweight near College Boulevard in the eastern part of the city.
Furaton Civil Airport, the only general airport remaining in Orange County, is located in the southwestern part of the city, and is the last site of Hughes Aircraft Company, which was a power of the aircraft industry until the 1970s. From the early 1970s to the early 1980s, Golden West Airlines, one of the largest computer airlines at that time, was at the airport.
Furaton's fire service is managed by Furaton Fire Station, and ambulances are operated by Care Untolerance Service. The Fullerton Police Station is in charge of law enforcement, and the California State University Police Department also has police authority in the area near the campus of the California State University Fullerton.
Furaton connects the four cities of the world with sister cities.
- Korea, North Gyeongsang Province, Nagagawa City
- Republic of Korea, Gyeonggi Province, Ryunin City
- Japan, Fukui Prefecture and Fukui City
- Mexico, Michoacan, Morelia
- ^ "State & County QuickFacts". US Census Bureau. Archived from original as of August 21, 2012. Viewed on December 24, 2011.
- ^ City of Fullerton Official Website
- ^ US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau, (2011-02-12)Available April 23, 2011.
- ^ City of Fullerton CAFR
- ^ From the Orange County Registrar of Voters
- ^ "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Read on February 10, 2008.
- ^ 2000 Census profile of Fullerton
- Fullerton Observer
- City of Fullerton Official Web Site - Official Site
- Fullerton Chamber of Commerce
- Fullerton Heritage
- California State University, Fullerton
- Fullerton Observer
- Fullerton Public Library
- Fullerton College
- Fullerton Joint Union High School District